Nikeyla is Of Counsel with the Cochran Firm and is licensed to practice in Texas and California. She focuses her practice on civil litigation in the areas of personal injury, employment discrimination, police brutality/excessive force, and business and entertainment matters.
Why She CaresNikeyla was raised in the South and spent a lot of time with her grandparents and great-grandmother. They shared stories of the trials they faced as African Americans living during the Great Depression and the Jim Crow Era.
As a young scholar, Nikeyla studied Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and felt an instant connection with his passion for equality for all people. It was then that she realized she too could be a champion for justice and that she could not take the suffering of her ancestors in vein.
- Juris Doctorate: Thurgood Marshall School of Law at Texas Southern University
- Undergraduate: Spelman College
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- California State Bar
Awards and Recognition
- Special Recognition, SR 734 (Senate Resolution passed by Senator Rodney Ellis honoring Ms. Johnson for her service to the people of the State of Texas during her participation in the Texas Legislative Internship program. - 80th Legislative Session, Spring 2007).
- Special Recognition, HR 2828 (House Resolution passed by Representative Anna Hernandez recognizing Ms. Johnson for her participation in the Texas Legislative Internship program. - 80th Legislative Session, Spring 2007).
- Special Recognition, HR 2951 (House Resolution passed by Garnett Coleman honoring Ms. Johnson for her work as a Policy Analyst for the Legislative Study Group, an official caucus of the Texas House of Representatives. - 80th Legislative Session, Spring 2007).
In her free time, Nikeyla enjoys singing, creative writing, traveling, working out, water sports and spending time with her family.